5.14.2012

There's always a but...

Hi everyone! I have been thinking about this post for many days now and have been unable to even attempt normal hygiene routines let alone sit up or think straight enough to post anything! But I know everyone is sitting at the edge of their seats just waiting to hear, so I will lie flat and attempt to get something down between bathroom vomiting sessions! They retrieved 22 eggs and of those 22, they were able to fertilize 18 with Ian's sperm! We are so happy, relieved, blessed, excited.. Really any good emotion, you can add to this list. But, it was a process so I will start from the beginning.

Ian took me to the FTC Surgical Center on Friday morning at 8:15. A really awesome nurse did the preliminary paperwork and started my IV and some fluids to keep me hydrated. Then we were seen by an anesthesiologist (who I would let put me under any day) and he explained how the procedure would go, pretty straight forward. Lastly, we saw our doctor and she answered our last questions before sending Ian to the waiting room and me to the surgical room.

In the surgical room, they had set up a tiny half-bed with ginormous stirrups (at this point I felt vulnerable knowing I would be under fentanyl (an analgesic) and propofol (an anesthetic) and my naked legs and body would be suspended in mid air), but the anesthesiologist shot me up with a dose of fentanyl and I didn't have a care in the world :) Then I saw him hook a white liquid, which was the propofol, into my IV and the next thing I remember is being on a gurney in the recovery area! It seemed like an instant!

Ian was able to come back to the recovery area and he told me she captured 22 eggs!! That seemed like a huge number and soon we found out I was an overachiever when it came to egg production. The down side to this phenomenon is that I developed a mild case of Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome caused from excessive levels of estrogen due to each follicle emitting it's own dose since its inception. So, while I had many eggs develop, they were slow and steady to mature and ultimately caused toxic estrogen levels for tiny, fragile embryos.

This leads me to the but..... If the embryos are of high quality (utmost importance), our doctor will elect to wait 6 weeks (an entire cycle plus) to allow my body to return to its prior healthy state of homeostasis (my family makes fun of me for using that word). Therefore, increasing our chances for a healthy pregnancy. What do you say to that? No way, I want them to be dropped into a toxic waste land where they don't have a chance! So once again, Ian and I have to change our thought process and I can't tell myself "you can do this, just remember, you will be pregnant when you leave here.." But, we both agree, that waiting really isn't such a bad thing. Especially when you consider we've been at this for a year and a half, so what's six more weeks? Nothing really; we want the best result, bottom line.

At this point, they are prepping us for implantation just in case the embryos don't look like they could survive a 6 week freeze, so Ian is stabbing my buttocks with an 1 1/2 needle (which he enjoys and most importantly, is good at) and I'm covered in creams and patches to trick my body into thinking it's pregnant. This will all stop on Tuesday if the embryos are "high quality" and restart sometime over the next 6 weeks. And just to add to the fun (since there's not enough already), I'm either experiencing a bad side effect from one of the medications/hormones, have food poisoning, or just the plain old stomach flu! Seriously, living the dream!

I must send out a huge thank you to Ian for taking such good care of me, holding my hair and rubbing my back as I hug the toilet and keeping me comfortable so I can sleep! I feel so lucky to have him. Also, a huge hug and thanks to my in-laws who are taking care of my fur children with a smile. And also to my Dad and Sheri for letting me take over their house the last two and a half weeks. And finally to everyone who sent encouraging words and kept us in their thoughts and prayers! Your support and friendship is invaluable!

7 comments:

  1. HUGS!!!!

    Love,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachie!!! I didn't know you had a blog!! I'm adding you to the famed goodle reader right now - keep up the hard work...we are rooting for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach! I just want you to know how much I love you! You are so dear to me and I think about you and the trials you are facing daily. I wish we were closer so I could talk with you and do things for you. We include you in our prayers every night and I pray for you constantly all day. You are really such an amazing woman and I look up to you so much and that little Spirit that is up there waiting to come to you is the luckiest little one in the world! I love you and we are crossing our fingers for you! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg! So sorry! I thought I got everyone! Kate- you make me cry (pretty easy with my high estrogen level). You are so so sweet! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending good thoughts and prayers to Ian and you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - Just want you to know that we have been to the Temple (in Draper and Oquirrh Mountain in Utah) 3 times this last week and have added your name to the prayer rolls each time. The prayer rolls are for people who are ill or need extra prayers in their lives at this time. They are prayed for in each temple session throughout every day and night for two weeks. We are also praying for you and Ian each and every day that you might be able to have the family you (and all of us) so much want. We love you very much, Grandma and Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Gram! I really need the prayers right now. It helps me know this challenge isn't mine alone. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete