3.19.2012

Red Light, Green Light

Quick update - Michelle made it to Seattle on Sunday!!  She is seeing her place for the first time today, and while the photos of her studio apartment we generous to the size and condition, she loves it non-the-less :)  She starts work at an Aveda salon branch on the 27th and promises to keep me updated on her settling in progress.  I miss her so much already.

Ian is healing well.  He is still using his crutches and walking boot to get around, but his pain is decreasing each day.  He goes back to work on light duty status starting Wednesday this week, and while it has been great having him at home, we are both ready to get back into a routine.

Speaking for routines, we have been back and forth to Phoenix three times already this month, and the traveling is beginning to show!!  My house goes un-mopped and un-dusted far longer than my usual hygienic standards (which are pretty low anyway), but I guess somethings gotta give.  We had the pleasure of enjoying an educational IVF class taught by a nurse that has been taking care of IVF patients for 28 years; it goes without saying, she answered every ones questions without any of us saying a word.  We learned more than we thought, especially with my compulsive behaviour to research EVERYTHING!

I had an ultrasound the following week to take some measurements of the size and thickness of my uterus.  This gives the doctor a pre-planned map so the embryos can be placed in the precise spot for implantation.  Dr. Behera gave me an "A+" and I silently rejoiced (those that know me understand my continual need for good grades).  Finally, one green light!  And, just to add to the emotional roller coaster, they asked Ian to give one final semen sample for analysis.  We joke that he's going to have calluses by the time this is all done, if you know what I mean ; ) 

The analysis again returned with disappointing results and, even though we said we wouldn't hope for something better, we were still let down. RED LIGHT (again) On the positive side, we already had an appointment scheduled with Ian's Urologist for the 19th to discuss the next step and procedure for sperm aspiration. GREEN LIGHT! 

This brings me to today... Dr. Avila (the Urologist) could not explain why Ian's counts had dramatically decreased over the past year and explained that this left us with ONE LAST option... semen aspiration.  We discussed the procedure (Ian almost passed out for the second time- hehe) and talked about the chances for successful discovery of viable sperm, which ended up being a static number in the end.  At this point, we are scheduled for the aspiration on April 20th (I haven't decided if this is a red light or green light yet), and if they find happy, moving sperm, we are on schedule for IVF!!  This means transfer would happen sometime in the later part of May.

I feel hesitant to be positive at the least or excited at the most.  I feel I have been on a roller coaster that has multiple rises and falls, but with no end in sight.  Anyone with some objective encouragement, please share because I am desperate!         

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh out loud a couple of times. You are one of the bravest people I know. Love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete